Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Bitter Dregs...

I had to spend a lot of the last week or so processing this shift in direction for my life, giving up (for now) the plan of the PhD in Astrophysics and transitioning into something slightly more reasonable based on my current situation...changing my Major to Communications.

There was a lot of this going on the past week (and over the summer as well)


It was a very tough decision to make, but I just had to realize my limitations.  The intense course load of Calculus, Chemistry, and Physics classes was taking its toll and I was barely holding my head above water...as it were.  As much as I love all of those topics, I just felt like I wasn't actually learning anything, just scrambling to go from assignment to assignment, exam to exam, and just getting by.

The switch to Communications was a major relief.  Currently I am now in the Professional & Technical Communications (PTC) program with a Chemistry minor.  The Chem minor is already complete, and I'm sure that down the road I will eventually finish it up in my spare time...being a lifelong learner is just a part of who I am.  The communications department here at IIT is planing on offering a Degree in the Journalism of Science, which is what I will switch to once it become official later in the Academic year.

So this semester is going to be very writing intensive obviously.  My classes are vastly different from what I've had before, but I've gradually grown excited about them.

This semester is:  Editing, Document Design, Verbal Visual Communications, Intro to Journalism, and Web Design.  3 of the 5 are internet classes, of which I am no fan...but it does mean I only have 1 class Monday-Thursday which is nice.  Next semester will be a couple of Philosophy of Science Classes, more Tech Communication classes, and Web Application Development.

When it's all said & done, I will still get out on time in the Spring of 2015, but there is a chance I might be able to graduate next Dec.   I don't even want to think about graduation right now, since the only option I have (unless I manage to get a job immediately after I graduate) is to move back to Michigan and live with my 70 year old parents until I can find a job.   Not something I am looking forward to.

So expect more regular postings now that I need to write, write, write.  Later this week I'll talk about the Curiosity Rover's 1 year 'Marsiversery', and introduce "Telescope Tuesdays" where I ramble about my struggle with my Telescope.  Note:  This weeks 'Telescope Tuesday' will be on Thursday...at least the both begin with a 'T'

Science!

No comments:

Post a Comment